SIMPLY BLACK & WHITE


Tuesday, January 11, 2005

My New Powerhouse!

Yea!! Bought myself a new CPU (Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, LGA 775), Motherboard (MSI 865PE Neo3) and Rams (Cosair 2 x 256 DDR400) over the weekend and thus almost doubling my computer's power! I also got a CoolerMaster Centurion 5 casing as my old one couldn't fit my motherboard.

Believe me, shopping for a computer at Sim Lim Square can be tiring especially if you can't make up your mind on what to buy or where to buy from, but what to do, there are so many shops, with so many different prices and bundles and so many designs of casings to choose from. Difference in prices can come up to about $30 - $60 or maybe even more if you know where to look.

All in all, I spent $726, not including the taxi fares, parking fees, petrol and the time spent. Not bad considering I was young and stupid to buy my previous computer(whole set) for 6000 bucks. Let's hope that I will get a more enjoyable experience using my computer in the future.

-----

There's been so much on the news about the Tsunami disaster that I don't feel like reading the newspaper. The coverage is flooding newspapers, the radio and the news on TV, it's EVERYWHERE!! I just find that it's too much, don't you agree? What happened to all the terrorist attacks and stuff? Those terrorists must be going "What the hell? Blowing up a building doesn't get the media's attention anymore?" and perhaps Al Qaeda will switch to donating a few million dollars to the Tsunami relief to get attention and propogate their teachings.

Also, some people are taking this chance to get rid of their old stuff, mainly clothes. These actually makes more work for the volunteers as they have to sort out what's good to go and what's not. I have read that they actually threw away lots of almost expired food, stained under garments and high heeled shoes. I don't think people who donate these are being helpful, they are in fact creating more work for the volunteers and probably slowing down the relief effort. Yes, you may say that some expired food may still be consumed but can we risk one person getting sick in one of the camps and then spreading that sickness to others? I don't think so.

If you would like to help, I would suggest donating money or your time. I believe if you give money to the Red Cross, they would be able to buy more with the same dollar than you do as they would have their regular suppliers and also economies of scale(bulk purchase). Someone in the news said: "The best way now to help would be to stop donating supplies and wait and pray until we can determine what is most needed." I can't remember who is that, I believe its the boss of the association coordinating relief efforts here in Singapore.

I hope the devastated areas will get on their feet and recover as soon as possible. There is no point in crying over split milk, the best is to clean up the milk before cockroaches and such come or the milk becomes sour and smelly.

-----

Another issue I would like to talk about in the Tsunami disaster is the issue on large donations. The larger and more established countries are competing on who gives more so that they can have more recognition and have a better grip on the region, I don't know if this is justified. On one hand thinking as a politician and a businessman, it would be in the country's best interest to show the world what a big heart you have and improve relations with the people in the region. On the other hand as an common person I think that these countries are taking advantage of the situation. So with these two views, I don't know whether to agree or disagree with the actions these countries are taking. Maybe you can tell me.

Also on this topic, I have seen signs outside many shops saying that they will donate a certain amount if you buy a certain product or some music and TV artistes selling donating or auctioning off something (a singer auctioned of a strand of his chest hair for like 20k +). Again I don't know if this is justified. It IS good for the business and popularity and I would probably do something like that if I had a business, but is this taking advantage of the plight of the victims? I'm still thinking about it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lam's Creation said...

While I am definitely envious of your new upgrades, I am seriously struggling with the hesitation to get that $359 VIA Chipset computer from IMM giant, comes with VIA CPU (800Mhz ?) 128MB RAM, 40GB HDD, CDROM and Midi Tower Casing with Keyboard and Mouse excluding Monitor. If I run Linux, I seriously don't need an Intel or AMD ... decisions decisions decisions

11:54 PM  
Blogger Fab said...

I actually started thinking of getting a new computer a few months ago. Kept dropping and thinking of it till I finally couldn't resist no more.. hehe :D

I feel, for IT stuffs, don't take too long to think. Cos if you take your time in making decisions (eg. few months), by the time you have made up your mind, a new model would have made it to town and you would be undecided again. Do proper research, find a specification that suits your need, get the money and go buy it! (don't forget to bargain if possible ;) )

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


ABOUT ME


Name: Fabian Lim
Gender: Male
Age: 19
Location: Singapore
Employment Status: Attachment at Starhub(SCV)
Character: Nerdy, Quiet at Times, Talkative at Times.
Interests: Cars, Entrepreneurship, Linkin Park

PREVIOUS POSTS

2005
A New Skin
Disaster
Same ol same ol
Christmas
I've Moved
Lazy Fella
Back
Learn Chinese?
Outsourced

Powered by Blogger

Total Visits
Free Web Site Counter

Name      URL or Email      Messages(smilies)


Powered by TagBoard Message Board

COPYRIGHT © 2005 FABIAN LIM